April 19, 2011

Craziest Thing I've Done in a While

Okay, I will admit right off that this is probably the craziest thing I've done yet, but then again.....life is short!  In my workplace, I am surrounded by millennials, a generation of people much younger than myself whose lives are defined by the movies they watch, music they listen to, games they play and the materials they read.  Most, if not all of it, centers around science fiction in some form or other.  Everything from Raiders of the Lost Ark to Star Trek to X-Men defines their world.  The really cool thing about this is that I was into this genre way before it was cool.  So, much to my astonishment, I feel I can run with them in most conversations.  All that being said, working with this group of people lends itself to a very interesting work environment.  Staff meetings become negotiations between the Romulan and Vulcan Empires or comparisons of the original Star Trek series and the later Star Trek: Next Generation.  Policy statements are created after we run through the discourse over which super hero is the strongest/coolest/smartest.

In an environment, many of us have taken on super hero personas.  The leader of our group fancies himself to be Batman while a newcomer has announced himself to be Ironman.  Numerous hours of debating, thinking and surfing have led to a few others being named.  My designation is Oracle, a brilliant woman with red hair that is currently confined to a wheelchair but has a lair equipped with any technology imaginable. (Yeah, I'm thinking it is a good choice!)

Anywho, we have an event coming up in the Fall at work.  We needed a means to advertise the event and grab some attention to how cool our event will be.  With all the super hero conversations in mind, what better way to advertise than with our very own super hero display?  With that idea in mind, I set about my latest "mission":  create a super hero for us. (I must add a disclaimer here that this is all my idea solely.)

Some creative imaginings later, I found an inflatable football player on clearance at an online vendor website.  He came in a variety of team uniforms and he was 8'tall.  Hmmmm, what screams "super" louder than an 8', bigger than life, man?   Thus begins the saga "The Making of a Super Hero."  Stay tuned for more installments.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

I like him! I think he'll make a great addition to the super hero lineup!